History

Susan G. Komen Central Georgia® was established in 1999 by a dedicated group of health care providers and volunteers who wanted to find a way to fund breast health programs for uninsured and underserved populations in Central Georgia. Over the past 16 years, the Affiliate has grown from a small, core group who knew more needed to be done to address the breast health needs in Central Georgia, to a network of thousands of survivors, activists, and community leaders. The Affiliate serves eight counties, including Baldwin, Crawford, Houston, Jones, Macon-Bibb, Monroe, Peach, and Twiggs.

Impact

Along with more than 120 other Affiliates, Komen Central Georgia is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. With the help of Komen-funded research, the breast cancer death rate in the US has fallen by 34.0 percent in 20 years. Five-year relative survival rates for women with early stage cancers are at 98.0 percent (up from 74.0 percent). Susan G. Komen’s promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering others, ensuring quality care for all and investing in science to find the cures.

Working to meet this promise, Komen Central Georgia distributes 75.0 percent of its net income to fund local community-based breast health education, screening and treatment programs. The remaining 25.0 percent funds national research to find the cures for breast cancer. In the past seventeen years, we have raised more than $2.5 million through donations and fundraising events to fund the fight against breast cancer. We have awarded more than $1.8 million to local organizations for screening, education, and treatment and more than $680,000 to national Komen research.