2016-2017 Grant Recipients

Since 2000, Komen Central Georgia has raised over $2.5 million. 75 percent of our net proceeds fund local breast health education, screening, and treatment projects in our eight county service area. The remaining 25 percent supports the national Komen Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research and educational programs around the world.  Our 2016-2017 Community Grant recipients include:

First Choice Primary Care ($35,000):

Breast Health Services for the Medically Underserved

Medically underserved women, particularly the low income African American women of Bibb County who are at higher risk for late stage diagnosis, need access to breast health services. FCPC offers a primary care home to anyone, and uses evidence based guidelines to encourage our patients to seek screening and preventive services. FCPC proposes to use Komen funds to support screening mammograms for uninsured low income women. We will support patients who have abnormal screening mammograms, including support from the Regional Cancer Coalition. We have standing orders with Navicent Breast Center so that any additional testing can take place immediately. We will refer any patients with a positive diagnosis to the Breast Cancer Patient Navigator at Bibb County Health Department. FCPC proposed to provide 253 screening mammograms to low income uninsured women. Our clinical staff will educate patients and follow up to ensure results are received and reviewed by medical providers. FCPC proposed to provide 263 screening mammograms to low income uninsured women. Our clinical staff will educate patients about the importance of screening mammograms, assist them with making appointments, and follow up to ensure results are received and reviewed by medical providers in a timely manner.

Houston Healthcare ($35,000):

Central Georgia Regional Outreach for Breast Health

The target community served includes women who are uninsured, and 200% of the poverty level living in Houston, Peach, Crawford and Twiggs counties. The need addressed is to identify breast cancers in the early stages when it is more treatable. Among this population of lower income women although they need a mammogram if the barriers are not addressed they will not obtain the services needed.

The description of key activities includes breast health education, importance of a mammogram, collaboration with healthcare providers serving a large number of lower income and uninsured women and referrals to the Navigator to improve access to care. Funding will be utilized to provide screening mammograms, diagnostic mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsy if needed.

The expected number of individuals to receive mammogram services and navigation assistance is 150. The expected outcomes are women who otherwise would not receive needed services will have access to care, and breast cancer will be detected earlier.

Wellness Center Navicent Health ($17,890):

Cancer Well-Fit Project

The Cancer Well-Fit Project is a free 12-week oncology recovery program for breast cancer patients. The program combines exercise, education, nutrition, mind/body activities, and support to assist people in returning to their fullest physical and emotional potentials. The holistic approach incorporates all aspects of a woman’s health and well-being. Each session includes exercises followed by educational topics such as coping skills, stress management, nutrition, etc. The program also includes mind/body programming such as meditation, yoga, and guided imagery. Once the woman enters the Cancer Well-Fit program, the coordinator develops an individually supervised exercise plan, with physician approval, based on therapy restrictions and energy levels. The staff monitors the participants’ progress and ability to maintain activity.   Clinical outcomes are documented for each participant and have demonstrated approximately 40% improvement in their quality of life.

Past Grant Recipients

2013-2014 Grantees

2014-2015 Grantees