Race for the Cure Returns to Macon, Coming to Mercer on Sept. 26

MACON — One of Central Georgia’s largest 5k runs will return to Macon this year. Susan G. Komen Central Georgia’s Race for the Cure is moving to Mercer University’s campus. The new route will take participants throughout the new developments in the revitalized College Hill Corridor area of Macon.

“We are thrilled to be coming back to Macon, where it all started 16 years ago and take advantage of the energy in the College Hill Corridor to grow our race and increase support for our mission of ending breast cancer forever,” said Jill Vanderhoek, executive director of Susan G. Komen Central Georgia.

In addition to the shift in locations, the race will move up in the calendar year, to Saturday, Sept. 26. Online registration will open on May 10. Komen Central Georgia aspires to include participants of all ages during the event, celebrating life and bringing awareness to local breast health needs. Participants will be encouraged to run, walk or stroll at their own pace.  The 5K will begin at 9:00 a.m. Check komencentralga.org for event updates.

“We are pleased and honored that Mercer’s campus and the College Hill Corridor will host the Susan G. Komen Central Georgia Race for the Cure this year,” said Mercer President William D. Underwood. “The timing works well for the University, as Sept. 26 is an open date for football, and many of our students, faculty and staff are involved with Susan G. Komen programs. We are looking forward to a positive experience for the Komen organization, race participants and the Macon community.”

Macon was host to the first 12 Races for the Cure, and now it will have a chance for many more, and city officials are welcoming the 16th annual race back to the city.

“I’m delighted the Race for the Cure is returning to Macon-Bibb,” says Macon-Bibb County Mayor Robert Reichert. “I want to encourage people to participate and help raise funds for and awareness of the important work Susan G. Komen Central Georgia does for the people and organizations that support those affected by breast cancer in Central Georgia.”

About Susan G. Komen Central Georgia

Susan G. Komen Central Georgia was founded in 1999 and held its first Race for the Cure in 2000. The Affiliate’s eight county service area includes Baldwin, Bibb, Crawford, Houston, Jones, Monroe, Peach, and Twiggs counties. Through annual events, including the Race for the Cure, and individual contributions, the Affiliate has invested over $1.8 million in breast health programs. 75 percent of the net income goes toward funding grants to local hospitals and community organizations that provide breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs for medically underserved women and men.  The remaining 25 percent supports the national Komen Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world. For more information, visit www.komencentralga.org or email info@komencentralga.org. Connect with us on Facebook at facebook.com/komencentralgeorgia and Twitter @komencentralga.

About Susan G. Komen

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded over $847 million in research and provided $1.8 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life.

About Mercer University

Founded in 1833, Mercer University is a dynamic and comprehensive center of undergraduate, graduate and professional education. The University enrolls more than 8,500 students in 12 schools and colleges – liberal arts, law, pharmacy, medicine, business, engineering, education, theology, music, nursing, health professions, and Penfield College of Mercer University – on campuses in Macon, Atlanta and Savannah – and four regional academic centers across the state. The Mercer Health Sciences Center includes the University’s medical, nursing, health professions and pharmacy schools. Mercer is affiliated with four teaching hospitals – Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah; Medical Center, Navicent Health, in Macon; and The Medical Center and St. Francis Hospital in Columbus. The University also has educational partnerships with Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex in Warner Robins and Piedmont Healthcare in Atlanta. It operates an academic press and a performing arts center in Macon and an engineering research center in Warner Robins. Mercer is the only private university in Georgia to field an NCAA Division I athletic program. www.mercer.edu

###