Komen Central Georgia Awards Just Under $150,000 to Three Local Breast Health Programs and National Research to Find Cures for Breast Cancer

Komen Central Georgia Awards Just Under 150,000 to Three Local Breast Health Programs and National Research to Find Cures for Breast Cancer

$96,890 Funds Local Breast Health Screening, Treatment, Outreach, Education, Support Services; Nearly $50,000 Underwrites National Peer-Reviewed Research Programs

April 12, 2016, Macon, GA — Susan G. Komen Central Georgia is awarding $96,890 in local grants, to help save the lives of medically underserved local women, men and families. The three grantees provide breast health screening, treatment, outreach, education, and support services to uninsured, underinsured, and ethnic minority residents in Komen Central Georgia’s eight county service area. In addition, Komen Central Georgia is investing just under $50,000 in peer- reviewed national research programs to find the cures for breast cancer.

This year’s grantees include First Choice Primary Care, Houston Healthcare, and Wellness Center Navicent Health. A full list of grantee programs follows this release.

“Komen Central Georgia is extremely proud of our unique contribution to Central Georgia’s many and varied communities. Thanks to the generosity of our supporters, we are ensuring local individuals can gain access to vital breast health services they deserve,” said Jill Vanderhoek, Komen Central Georgia Executive Director.

“For 17 years, we have been in the forefront of funding greatly needed community-based programs for our neighbors who might otherwise fall through the cracks. Komen Central Georgia is here, working through our extraordinary community partners, to make sure everyone gets the care they need,” said Vanderhoek.

Komen Central Georgia’s diverse, volunteer review panel of community members with a personal or professional interest in improving the quality of breast health services judiciously reviewed all of the submitted applications to rank them based on their merit. All three grant applications met the Affiliate’s criteria and were funded through the Community Grants Program.

“These grants emphasize our priorities and focus on early detection and treatment access, health care disparities initiatives, and supporting breast cancer survivors,” said Rachel Hollar, Komen Central Georgia Affiliate Coordinator. “While we are proud of how far we’ve come, we have so much more to accomplish.”

The majority of local funding is generated through the Komen Central Georgia Race for the Cure, which is scheduled for Sept. 24 at Mercer University. Registration kicks off on the first day of summer, June 21, at www.komencentralga.org. Last year, the Race for the Cure raised nearly $200,000 to help underserved populations access necessary breast health care and fund cutting-edge research.

About Susan G. Komen Central Georgia

Susan G. Komen Central Georgia was founded in 1999 and held its first Race for the Cure in 2000. The Affiliate’s eight county service area includes Baldwin, Crawford, Houston, Jones, Macon-Bibb, Monroe, Peach, and Twiggs counties. Through annual events, including the Race for the Cure, and individual contributions, the Affiliate has invested over $1.9 million in breast health programs and donated over $725,000 towards national research programs. 75 percent of the net income goes toward funding grants to local hospitals and community organizations that provide breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs for medically underserved women and men. The remaining 25 percent supports the national Komen Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world. For more information, visit www.komencentralga.org or email info@komencentralga.org. Connect with us on Facebook at facebook.com/komencentralgeorgia and Twitter @komencentralga.

About Susan G. Komen

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded over $847 million in research and provided $1.8 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life.

Here you will find the full list of programs that received our grants for 2016-2017.