Statement of Need

Up to 75 percent of the net funds raised by Komen Central Georgia stay in our eight-county service area to fund breast health education, breast cancer screening, and treatment projects. The remaining 25 percent of net funds supports the national Susan G. Komen Research Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards, and educational and scientific conferences around the world.

The Community Profile is a needs assessment document compiled every four years that provides an overview of Komen’s grant-making priorities and the breast health needs in our service area. It also serves as a guide for grantmaking and fundraising efforts. So as to not duplicate programs already in place and focus efforts on addressing unmet needs for breast health in the community, please familiarize yourself with this document before developing your applications.

Drawing from the 2015 Community Profile, the following funding priority areas were identified for FY 2017-2018:

  • Programs that increase the access to breast health services across the entire continuum of care and/or improve affordability of breast screening and diagnostic procedures for medically underserved populations.
    • Priority will be given to programs that break down systems-level barriers to care, including the provision of free/low-cost screening and diagnostic services, non-traditional clinic hours, weekend appointment availability, etc.
    • Priority will be given to projects that support services for the medically underserved in Peach, Macon-Bibb, and Monroe counties.
    • Priority will be given to projects that provide transportation assistance.
  • Programs that are culturally relevant and aim to eliminate cultural barriers that preclude populations from receiving breast health information and breast health services, particularly in African American, Hispanic, and uninsured and underserved populations.
  • Programs that provide support programs and/or services that meet basic needs and facilitate quality of life during breast cancer treatment (e.g. nutrition, prosthesis, transportation, case management and navigation, emergency assistance, etc.).

For the detailed report and Executive Summary, click below:

2015 Community Profile

2015 Executive Summary